Saturday, March 9, 2013

Books And Covers Thereof (1.14)

>Kitty: Okay, you can talk to her. Just relax. Imagine her naked, that will help.

After what happened with the bartender, Kitty has resolved not to imagine anyone naked if she can help.  Ever again.  Ever.

She will of course inevitably fail at this, because the life of a Librarian is rather lonely and isolated and one of the few joys known to generations of “Kitties” outside of books had been rather lewd imaginings regarding friends.

A small part of Kitty’s brain makes a note to imagine the bartender naked again sometime this evening.

> Kitty: Tell her you need to talk to the other patrons for other possible quests first.


“II will certainly,” says Kitty in between attempts not to choke to death on her own tongue out of sheer awkwardness, “give some thought to that idea.  But I would REALLY like to talk to these other women first.”

“What would you want with them?” says the beret lady.  “That one is a drunk, and her face is peeling.

“...Okay?  Yes, that may be, but that’s hardly a reason not t-”

“And the other one is one of those weird Dragons,” says the beret lady in hushed tones that were not nearly hushed enough.

“Is that so?” chimes in the Dragon bartender, bending over the bar behind beret lady now.

“Do go on,” says Pamela, leaning against it nearby.

“She’s one of those Dragons,” whispers beret lady.  “You know, the kind that really believe the Dragon nobles’ propaganda, about actually being descended from dragons.  She’s crazy.

“What?”

“I know I’m descended from a dragon,” says the bartender.

“Me too.  In fact I often roam the countryside, devouring villagers,” adds Pamela.
“Living in caves filled with gold.”

“Eating men in shiny armor who show an extreme lack of common sense.”
Pamela and the bartender high five.  The sound reverberates around the entire building.

“And,” continues beret lady.  “She’s heterosexual.

There is an awkward, confused silence on the part of all three listeners.

“Er, okay?” says Kitty.

“How...scandalous?” adds Pamela.

“Those damn straight people,” continues the bartender.  “Coming in here and taking all the good jobs away from us hard-working bisexuals.”

“H-half of them, anyway,” ventures Kitty.  “H-hahah.”

The bartender holds her hand out, reaching in front of Kitty’s face.

Kitty stares at it wordlessly.


“High five,” says the bartender.

“Oh, yes, right.”  Kitty swings at the hand.


“Little high.”


“Sorry, er.”  She tried again.

“Low.”

“Right, yes.  Here we go...”  SMACK.

“Ow,” said the bartender, rubbing her hand.

“Sorry.”

“Glad I didn’t ask for a fistbump.”

“S-sorry.”

“If you’ll excuse us, toots,” says Pamela, gently grabbing Kitty by the arm and politely wrenching her out of the grip of the beret wearing woman.  “We’ll get back to you in a minute.”

“Don’t keep me waiting.”
Pamela and Kitty both shudder.

“It would have been perfectly acceptable to elbow her in the gut,” says Pamela.  “That was sexual harassment and all.”

“I know, I just...Panicked.  I don’t get out much.”

“It’s okay, Kitty.  You’ll get better at it...’

They head to the woman with the orange jacket and blonde hair.  Up close, Kitty notices that she’s wearing a little black dress underneath.

“Dammit!” hisses Kitty, under her breath.

“What is it?”

“I underdressed.  Or overdressed, I’m not sure.  I should have worn a dress today after all.  Or something fancier than a stupid sweater and jeans.  Argh.”

“Kitty, don’t worry about it.  Dragon tribe just...dresses fancy.  It’s what we do. Cultural thing. Don’t beat yourself up trying to catch up with our egos.  Do you feel like you can handle this one, or should I?”

“I’ve got it,” says Kitty, taking a deep breath and approaching the woman.  “Excuse me, ma’am, uh, can I ask you a few questions?”

Vivid and...visceral was a word, a strange word, but the immediate thought in Kitty’s mind - blue eyes turned up to gaze at her.  Kitty felt a knot in her throat.  For a breath moment, she felt as she was being...appraised.

The moment passed when the woman’s blue gaze caught sight of Pamela.  Her lips - covered in a subtle orange lipstick - part to reveal a set of very white ivories.  Kitty could have sworn she heard a glint.

“Pam?  Is that you?” she asks.

“Hmm?  Er,” Pamela appears to be wracking her considerable memory.

“It’s me, Mindy.  Mindy White.”

“Right.  Hmmm...”

“We went to private school together!  You know.” Mindy paused to make a snapping movement with her jaw.  “‘Python’.”

“...Oh!  Yes!  You’re right, I’m so sorry.  I didn’t recognize you.  You’re much oranger than I remember.  It looks...Nice?”
“Thank you!”  Mindy hops up and gives Pamela a casual hug.  Pamela looks left and right, and then pats her back.  “How have you been, huh?  Taking after papá?


“Yes, I am,” replies Pamela.  “Business has been pretty good. We’re on a case right now, actually.”

“Oh?  How’s your father?  Still, ehhh...”  Mindy makes a thrusting motion with her hips.

Pamela rolls her eyes.  It was all the response she needed.

“I see,” replies Mindy, not missing a beat.  “Who’s the new girl?”

“Ah, forgive me.  The young dame here is Kitten-”

Just Kitty,” she adds quickly.

“She’s my client.  And a little sister of...you know.  Lady.”

Mindy thought about this for a moment.  “Oooooh.”  She winks at Pamela, then turns to Kitty.  “Nice to meet you.”

Kitty curtsies in response.  “N-nice to meet you too, ma’am.”

“She’s a skittish one, isn’t she?”  giggles Mindy, nudging Pamela in the rib.  “You don’t need to call me ma’am.  Or curtsy.  You’re not even wearing a skirt, it just looks silly.  You don’t have to bow before me either, though if you just really want to, go ahead!  Don’t let me discourage you.”

“I’ll...keep that in mind.”

“What’d you need to talk to me for, anyway?” she asks, the impressive and intimidating smile returning.

“We were wondering,” says Pamela after seeing the expression on Kitty’s face at being confronted with Mindy’s choppers and diplomatically taking the initiative.  “If you were familiar with Dante Ilucis?”

“Why, yes!  Yes I am.  I’d say we’re pretty familiar.  Why?”

“He hasn’t returned a book from the Library, and we’re...trying to get into touch with him.”

“I see.  Did you try calling him?”

Kitty looks down at the floor, embarrassed.  The thought hadn’t even occured to her.

“Mindy White, I'm sure you know as damned well as I do that the Ilucis and Faust families aren’t listed in the phone book.”

“Heheh, good thing I have it memorized, huh?”

“...Miss White, I am starting to believe you may be very familiar with him.”

“Not yet.  But soon,” Mindy winks.  “He knows it as well as I do.”

“...O-odd thing to say,” murmurs Kitty.

“But I’m guessing you want to talk face to face too.  Are you familiar with the Faust family’s annual ‘charity ball’?” says Mindy.

“We were thinking about getting in that way.  Somehow.  Would you be able to?”


“Technically, no.  My family was...uninvited a couple of years back, apparently.  I think something must be going on with Lords Faust and Ilucis.  Over the past ten years they’ve apparently been slowly crossing family names off the list for no rhyme or reason; I hear it started because of some sort of issue regarding one of the lost princesses and a teenage Dante, Lord Ilucis wasn’t happy about it.  They blacklisted the royal family after that.  My family is just the latest group of casualties.”

“How can we possibly get in, then?” asks Kitty.

“That’s the good news.  It’s a costume party this year.”

“...Ooooooooh,” says Kitty, her eyes lighting up.

“All we need to do is find some invitations off of someone who has them, get some masks, and we should be home free.  Well, at first anyway.  Actually getting to Dante is going to be a bit of a trick, if he’s not answering his phone.  He frequently ignores phone calls during the day if they’re not business or girlfriend related.”

“Who would have extra invitations?”

“I have no idea.  Ask around.  There has to be someone on this street who does.”
“This entire street?” asks Kitty, frowning.

“Yes?  Faust Boulevard-” began Pamela.

Faust Boulevard?  First, who even has that as a family name?”

“-is named after Lord Faust’s family.  They’ve always controlled this area, as far back as anyone can remember..”

“Did they summon Mephistopheles? ‘Hey man,’” says Kitty, adopting a deep voice. “‘I think it’d be real swag if you were to rearrange the universe so that this street has my last name.  Oh, you need my soul?  No biggie, I ain’t usin’ it for anythin’, ya dig?  Coolio, maaaaaaaaaan.’”

Mindy claps softly.  Pamela covers her forehead.

“Isn’t Dante’s place of business just across the street?” Pamela says, attempting to move the conversation onward.

“Yes!  Yes it is,” says Mindy.  “I doubt he’s in right now though.”

“We might be able to find out something from his employees,” offers Pamela.

“Or break into his office,” adds Mindy.

Kitty frowns.  “...Is that your way of flirting or-”

“We’ll head there next, after we finish up with this joint. ...And call Dante.”

“Sounds fun!  I’m coming along,” says Mindy.

Kitty and Pamela look at each other.

“...Yeah, o-okay,” mumbles Kitty.



_________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Taveena said...

Ask her opinion of Beret Lady! Can't hurt to hear both sides.

Anonymous said...

>Kitty: Elaborate on the Faust and Ilucis dealyo. Who are these guys, eh?

Post a Comment

Have a comment or a command? You can post it here! (Anonymously, too)